Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday in the yard!

Today was a busy day as far as chores go! We had a slight coolfront which made working outdoors more bearable than it has been! I took down the Purple Martin house. We never did get any Martins this year. A dove had babies on one of the porches. I am not sure if they survived to fledge or not! I also added some wire to the old "monkey bars" on the playset. I now use them for my Passion Vine. I did some weeding, too.
This is the second bloom with bananas on my banana tree.

There were clouds all around, but we didn't have any rain today. We did have 6/10 last night.
The barn door had been sticking. My sweety fixed it today! He also oiled the weathervane so it would turn again. I may have him talked into building a laying box onto the chicken coop for my girls!
The girls were busy too! Two of the younger girls are laying now! They are checking out the laying box. (It is an old covered cat litter box--I always used liners!)

Holly seems to like the laying box!

As I was picking things up to go in and take a bath, this bird nearly flew into me! It was fairly tame and hung around for several hours. It appears to be a domesticated dove.

It was very pretty!
It was glad to get some food. It liked the red millet out of the chicken scratch. It would approach and eat with me sitting about 1 foot away!

Lexi and Honey wanted OUT!
Ya'll Come Back!
Lorilee

5 comments:

  1. looks like you may be adding a dove to your flock:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorilee,
    I just recently read an article about stopping the release of domesticated doves at wedding ceremonies. Your friendly dove might be one that was raised by humans for that reason. That's why it's not too afraid of you. The article stated that most die because they don't know where to look for food. Poor little things. I hope he stays with you. Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of that banana! Will it reach maturity before winter? I love banana plants, but the season here is just not long enough for them to produce actual bananas.
    Also, can't wait to see the passion vine when it covers the monkey bars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great when you get a few things done. That dove is a beautiful color. So is your trumpet vine flower. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog tonight, and I've bookmarked it. I'm a chicken freak too! Oh...sorry, didn't mean to call you a freak. :-) I LOVE my girls, and using a cat box is a great idea for a nesting box!

    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista