Sunday, January 16, 2011

After my first taste of Pizzelles at our Cookie Exchange Party, I am hooked on them! Lucky for me, my guys are not fond of them. That means I actually get some! The ingredients are easy-eggs, oil, sugar, flour, vanilla and anise. Some recipes call for melted butter instead of oil and baking powder. I think the baking powder gives them a drier crunch, and I prefer the chewier crunch.
Most of all you need a Pizzelle Press.
I purchased mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
The batter is all ready to go!
Mmmm. I adore anise! I also love black jelly beans.
I hope to share some with my SIL who also loves them. That is, if I can keep myself from eating them all!
This is the recipe that I like. I halved it.
6 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 dozen eggs
1 tsp vanilla
anise to taste (about 1 tsp.)
Lightly beat the eggs with a whisk. Add oil and extracts and mix well. Add sifted flour and sugar, a little at a time. I start mixing with a whisk, but I switch to a wooden spoon as soon as it starts thickening. Preheat Pizzelle press. My press uses heaping teaspoon size dollops of batter. I use the 2 1/2 setting and bake them for about 1 1/2 minutes.
Y'all come back,
Lorilee




9 comments:

  1. I don't like licorice flavor so I probably won't like these. Thank goodness! This is the first cookie I've ever met that I don't like! Back to Weight Watchers for me! Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodnes!! Thank you for the recipe I am going to go get a press.

    I love these too. Where did you get the press?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's neat~ I don't think I've ever seen a pizzelle press!
    The cookies are beautiful, Lorilee... and sound yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look pretty - but I don't like licorice so you can have my share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy ! I found your wonderful blog through blog search !
    I am definatly a follower ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lori! I've not heard of these cookies before, but they look good. What would happen if you used a waffle iron? They'd be bigger, but would it work? Do you put anything on them, or just eat them as is? Kind of a huge recipe, but I guess you could cut it in half again! Are they like Biscotti? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! If I remember correctly I think we use to make ice cream sandwiches out of them. The ice cream has to be very soft to spread on the cookie. I love black licorice and jelly beans too! Have fun making all kinds of pizzelles! I love your family portrait.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not an anise lover. :)

    These are sorta like the Dutch stroopwafel...only we have a gooey center, and no anise. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are the prettiest cookies ever. Like lace.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista