Sunday, August 4, 2013

Wind Farming

 I traveled with my brother's family to the Texas State Swim meet in Corpus Christi. On our way home, their oldest son wanted a closer look at the Wind Farm near Taft, Texas. We were able to pull over and get a fairly close look at one. They are HUGE! There are nearly 196 wind turbines on the "farm".
 All turbines are approximately 262 feet high and have 2 blades. They have a maximum rotation speed of 22 rotations per minute.  The majority of the electricity is sold to the Lower Colorado River Authority and CPS Energy which is owned by the  City of San Antonio.
They were interesting, but I am glad that I don't have them lining the horizon near me. 
Y'all come back, 
Lorilee

3 comments:

  1. i wonder if they impact any migration routes. that's my only concern with them. and, yes, i'd not want them on my horizon either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and brother photographed the "blades" being transported by train and it makes you realize just how huge they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.cfact.org/2013/03/18/wind-turbines-kill-up-to-39-million-birds-a-year/
    Above is a link to an article about wind farms and birds killed by the turbine blades.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista