Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sausage Cheddar Scones

I made sausage for supper on Saturday evening. I made 3 links. After two 14-year-olds, our 23-year-old, my sweety and myself finished eating, we still had a link left. I decided to use it for brunch on Sunday. First I thought I would make breakfast taquitos. Then I remembered my cookbook, The Pastry Queen-Rebecca Rather. She owns Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe in Fredericksburg, Texas. I love her Apple-Smoked Bacon and Cheddar Scones. I followed the recipe, substituting the sausage for the bacon and omitting the green onion since I didn't have any on hand.

YUMMY!


Apple-Smoked Bacon and Cheddar Scones



3 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

4 green onions, thinly sliced (I omitted)

10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1-inch pieces (I used 1/2 a link of venison and pork sausage cut into small pieces)

3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1 large egg

2 tablespoons water



Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper in a large bowl on low speed using the paddle attachment. Add the cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour-butter bits about the size of small peas. Add the grated cheese and mix just until blended. Add the green onions, bacon and 3/4 cup of buttermilk to the flour and cheese mixture. Mix by hand just until all the ingredients are incorporated. If the dough is too dry to hold together, use the remaining buttermilk, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball. Stir as lightly and as little as possible to ensure a light-textured scone. Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a lightly floured flat surface. Pat the dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling pin, flatted the dough into a circle about 8 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. (I just patted it out with my hands.) Cut the dough into 8 to 10 equal wedges, depending on the size of scone you prefer.

Whisk the egg and water in a small bowl to combine. Brush each wedge with the egg wash. Place the scones on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and not longer sticky in the middle. Serve warm.



Ya'll Come Back!

Lorilee

4 comments:

  1. Lorilee, that sounds so very very good. Maybe for breakfast this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been getting into scones. They are so easy and versatile. Never put sausage in one, though. I'm gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sausage cheddar scones...I bet that is delicious! I lived my tween years in San Saba, TX which is north of Fredericksburg so I am definitely going to have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so ymmy. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista