Thursday, February 11, 2010

A trip to the Attic!

Last Saturday, while the sausage was smoking, Brian wanted to go into the attic. I never really thought about it since I grew up with it, but it is an awesome attic! While I was growing up, it is where we played on rainy days! I loved going up the stairs on a rainy day, because the wood shingles had a woodsy scent. It was almost unbearable in the heat of the summer, even with the full-size windows wide open. It was actually meant to be finished out as an extra bedroom, bathroom and game room. We had a pool table, ping-pong table and my "playhouse" area up there. Of course, we also stored lots of "stuff" up there. I already had the Avon Rapture powder tin on display in my bathroom, I have now added the cologne bottle that I found in the attic.

I also found these glasses that I remember being in Mom's kitchen cabinets. I don't remember using them though!
I do remember playing with this little suitcase! It is not in very good shape. I wonder if I should try some decoupage on it! Any suggestions? Has anyone done a similar project? Advice is welcome, although I may not get around to actually following through with the project for quite awhile!
I think it is interesting that it is bright red on the outside, but the inside colors are pastel blue and pink!
Y'all Come Back,
Lorilee


15 comments:

  1. Love that little suitcase. Looks like it's been well loved. Lucky you to have a great attic to find such treasures. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a lot of things could be made from this treasure. A pic nick basket for one. Plant a pretty flower "bed" by sitting the pots inside. Just a couple ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh woW! That's so cool....when I moved into my house (it's 75 years old) I was hoping to find some old treasures in it, but I didn't...:(...) I love all your finds; what a great trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post and great finds from the attic. I paid $35 for a very small bottle of Evening in Paris several years ago. There was no perfume, of course, just the bottle. My Dad always gave Mother Evening in Paris for every occassion and she loved it. I gave her the bottle for that Christmas thinking it would bring back some pleasant memories for her. I don't think she even remembered the perfume at all. I'd keep the little suitecase exactly as it is. You may have a little one in your future who enjoys playing with it.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. How terrific to have an attic and even better to have an attic full of treasure. You could use the suitcase as a little sewing or knitting case. We used to have some of those glasses. I never liked the feel of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lorilee,
    I wouldn't do a thing to that cute little suitcase. It's worn and tattered look is what makes it so special! I would set it on the floor in a corner or even set it up on a table with the lid open and fill it with pretty quilts, or even a potted plant. Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a vintage train case that I found in an antique shop several years ago. I found some wonderful reproductions of old travel tags from hotels in Europe like the Ritz in Paris, the Grosvenor in London, etc. I decoupaged them to the exterior. It took me a little while to get up the nerve to do it, because I was concerned about diminishing the value of the case should I ever decide to sell it. Then I realized that since the case was so darling and I would probably never sell it, I went ahead with the project. I love it. If you want to try this, go to www.laughingelephant.com

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have your own little antique shop in the attic! Isn't it great to find such treasures from your family????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love all your attic finds!! I too, would keep the little suitcase just the way it is!!

    Of course your Mom didn't use those glasses cause they are too pretty to use!!!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. those drinking glasses are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lorilee, I had to stop by and wish you a very Happy Valentines Day! I love your attic finds! I will be looking forward to seeing what you do with that awewsome little suitcase! I have a little one that I use to store all my stationery & cards. Also, I love your heart garland on a previous post! Hope you had a lovely day! Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you found some real treasures up there. I remember glasses like that, I hope you use them. I love that little suitcase.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the little suitcase, Lorilee- it looks like the kind the little dolls and their clothes used to come in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would leave this darling little red suitcase as is!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista