Friday, March 12, 2010

Sad Bat Story

I walked out of my garage and noticed bat guano on the driveway. That means the Mexican Free-tail bats are visiting. When I looked up, I saw this bat that was stuck. Ants had also discovered it. I got out our extension ladder and dragged my son off his computer to hold the ladder steady while I climbed up to remove the vent cover and free the bat.
The bat's claw was stuck in the screening on the vent. I also had to flick ants off of it. I did wear my gloves to be safe. Sadly, I don't think it will survive. Its wing seems to be injured, and it is very weak. I prepared a box with fabric on the sides for the bat to cling to and a shallow dish of water. It hasn't been able to climb onto the fabric, and I don't think it is drinking water either. I called around for a bat rehabilitator, but there isn't one any closer than a several hour drive.
Y'all Come Back!
Lorilee

13 comments:

  1. Oh this is sad! I hope the little guy makes it.

    How sweet of you to help it out though. At least it won't die from being eaten alive by ants.

    Hugs to you.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good person! I am scared to death of bats! I hope he makes it but you can keep him down there!! I do know that they eat a lot of mosquitos and we have some bats around our fishpond in the summer. I just sit there with a hoodie on watching closely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you were there to help the little guy. You're quite a lady to climb a ladder to help something that most (including myself)are afraid of. I think you're very special..and I hope little guy makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sad! I must say, you've elicited sympathy for a bat from me which I didn't think could be done. I'm terrified of the little critters but being eaten alive by ants really is a sad thing. I'm glad you were able to help it.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I really like bats, the poor little fellow... I hope he makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why are people scared of bats? I'm wondering how things turned out.

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope he will survive. They are amazing little creatures. You are so good to climb up there and free him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww. Bats are such great mosquito eaters. We try to encourage them around here. Hope he makes it. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy little guy! I actually love bats! Thanks for being such a good bat keeper Lorilee!

    Hugs,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh...poor baby! I hope he makes it. I love bats and everything they do for us...like eat all those nasty insects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my goodness! we had a bat in our attic before we bought our home, but had it exterminated b/c bat *poo* is toxic to human lungs.

    they're our friends outside, but not inside.

    you're a brave woman with a braver son. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista