Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dustbath drama!

The first time I witnessed a chick doing the dustbath thing, I thought it was having a seizure or losing control of its legs! Luckily, I am more "experienced" in the ways of chickens now!
It truly looks like she is having a maniacal deranged fit.
I am starting to worry a bit about introducing them to Aretha and Ethel. Chickens can be very mean to newcomers and peck them relentlessly. I have heard several theories on this matter. One is to slip them into the coop at night while the original hens are sleeping. Another is to put them into the run within a separate enclosure, so that they can see and smell each other without actual contact. I am thinking of doing the separate enclosure within the run for several days. Then letting them out together when I can watch them, before putting them together all night. This would be simplified if I didn't have to leave my house by 6:45 each morning to get to work on time.
Ya'll Come Back,
Lorilee

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that they did that. How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The saltwater fish do the same darned thing! Attack the newcomer. Boy, when I saw that first photo, I thought the poor thing was dead for sure!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL ... too cute. Our cat did the same thing in some sawdust from birdhouses we were making.

    (())

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorilee - I am thinking of having a coup built and getting a some chickens. I am not sure of the best route to take. Are 2 chickens enough. Are they egg layers. How big is the coup. You can shoot me an email at: becca7376@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista