Friday, August 14, 2009

Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cake

This is another cake from one of my favorite recipe books, The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn.
For Cake:
1 package plain devil's food cake mix
1 can (21 oz.) Cherry Pie Filling
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or mist 9 x 13 pan. Place cake mix, pie filling, eggs, and extract in mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until it springs back when lightly pressed with finger. Cool for 20 minutes and prepare the glaze.

Glaze:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1 package (6 oz.) or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Place the sugar, butter, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. When the chips have melted and the glaze is smooth, pour it over the warm cake so that it covers the entire surface. The glaze will be thin but will harden. Cool for 20 more minutes before cutting.
My teenage son loves this cake. I do to!

It was half gone before I could take a photo!
Ya'll Come Back!
Lorilee

5 comments:

  1. I also have have this cookbook. Nola gave it to me years ago. And this is also ones of my favorites. I sometimes substitute strawberry pie filling. IT IS SCRUMPTIOUS. :) Usually my own birthday cake, it soooooo goood.
    Hugs, ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH that does sound yummy! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. I will certainly try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and cherries are great together. I like the idea of using cake mixes and adding something extra to them. I will look up this cookbook for sure!
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious!...and most importanly -- easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista