Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Jailbirds in Gonzales!

My sister-in-law, Marie, and I went to Gonzales to shop and just look around for a day. We visited the 1887 Gonzales Jail. It was in use until 1975. It was NOT airconditioned when we toured so it was quite hot in our 100 degree temps. We are entering a room for women and lunatics! Interesting combination.
The jail was built to house 200 inmates. These cells are across from the gallows on the second floor.
I am across from the previous shown cells on the gallows tower.
The doors leading into the cell blocks had these barred windows with little doors.
Back on the outside! I love old architecture! Now to McDonald's for some iced Coffee and AC.
Ya'll Come Back!
Lorilee



3 comments:

  1. Oh my! The gallows are a pretty haunting sight. Imagine those who suffered that fate! Very interesting tour though. You're right women and lunitics is an interesting combo. I guess there were no insane men back then :)
    Have a great day! Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun town to visit! How awful to have been a prisioner there - especially in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, I am definitely going to Gonzales now because I want to have my photo taken beside the cell for women and lunatics. What a hoot! I might even use that as a Christmas card photo. That would surprise everybody.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista