Monday, August 3, 2009

Visiting Gonzales

Last Friday, my sister-in-law, Marie and I made the short trip to Gonzales, Texas. It was the sight of the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution which was sparked over a cannon. The Texans challenged the Mexican troops to "Come and Take It". Our first stop was "Discovery Architectural Antiques". It is the place to go if you want old doors, flooring, doorknobs, sinks, ceiling tin, or stained glass.
We loved these doors. They made me think of Rivendell in The Lord of the Rings.

Font size Another cool door!

I feel old! We had rotary dial phones, but ours didn't have the awesome silver detail.

I wish I could build a home around this beautiful archway and columns! We enjoyed our "window shopping". We visited several other antique and gift shops. Of course I took numerous photos of some wonderful old homes! We also toured the old jail. It was hot everywhere we went, eventhough most of the places were airconditioned. Luckily, the Gonzlaes McDonald's was giving away their iced coffees! YUM! I'll share more later.
Ya'll Come Back!
Lorilee





10 comments:

  1. I've been to Gonzales. Did they have any reproductions of the Gonzales flag, with the cannon and the words "come and take it"? I've seen them before, almost buying one several times, I think the story is charming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to visit there sometime without my Dad so I can shop instead of visit historic markers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to visit. The archway is gorgeous and the rotary phone makes me feel old too. I'm not even sure my son has ever seen one! :) Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun trip. I love old architecture. The archway you have photographed is amazing. Blessings to you, and I hope your heat breaks soon. I know you Southerners are getting roasted, while we Northerners are freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nola,
    I didn't see any flags, but we didn't visit the Gonzales Memorial Museum. That is probably where you would find them.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love those doors!!! I know I'll never get out to Texas, but if I ever did, I would definitely make this one of my stops!!

    ~Neenee~

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a Gonzales, California too. That shop looks like a lot of fun. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lorilee :)

    What gorgeous doors! We had rotary phones too, so we can be old together LOL

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that orange/red door! Would look very good on my house! :)

    We had a rotary phone..still know my phone number that we had up unitl I was 14 years old...can't even remember my last one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I live in wonderful Gonzales....your comments were to grand!! WE are proud for the history we have - first shot fired for Texas Independence ( it's not a charming story - without that first shot there might not have been an Alamo!), Sam Houston trains army and goes on to defeat Santa Anna. Lots of beautiful old antibellum homes. To the lady that would like a C&TI flag, go on line - or call the Gonzales Chamber of Commerce.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista