Thursday, July 23, 2009

Line-drying hazard!

I adore the fresh scent of line-dryed sheets except when they contain one of these! As I was folding sheets fresh off the clothesline, I was startled by a cicada flying out! They are very prolific this year, their noise can be deafening in the evenings.
According to Wikipedia, cicadas are sometimes called "locusts" although they are not related to true locusts which are a kind of grasshopper. Also, "Cicadas are benign to humans and do not bite or sting, but can be pests to several cultivated crops." Their assault on the ears is not mentioned! They are said to be eaten in many parts of the world, and the shells are used in traditional medicines of China. They can have them from my yard!
Ya'll Come Back!
Lorilee

6 comments:

  1. Eeeekkkk! As long as they stay outside I don't mind them. Inside....shiver! Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little buggers are extremely loud and annoying if there are very many of them around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They seem to be really loud here, too this year. AND there are a lot of those HUGE hornet like cicada eaters, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We only have a few in our neighborhood so I like them...but while camping out in the middle of Nevada, HOLY COW! You're up all night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have scared the bejeebers out of me too. Silly flying critters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...I don't think I'd like to meet one of those things in a dark backyard, or a light one,for that matter! Thanks for stopping in and your input on the chair! It will stay shabby, as is! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista