Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Stuff!

The other morning a sunbeam was highlighting this little collection on our antique dropfront desk. The "I Like Ike" pin was something my Mom had as long as I can remember. I also found the bullet in her jewelry box. I have no idea where she got it. However, one evening I was looking through a catalog and saw a photo that looked just like it! It was a collection of Civil War Bullets. The description read, " Load your collection with these genuine relics from perhaps the most significant event in U.S. history. Set includes a musket ball and minie-bullet along with an exceedingly rare 'William's Cleaner' bullet and a .52-caliber Sharp's bullet (used only by cavalrymen). After more than 130 years of slow oxidation, the lead has acquired a white patina." The set was selling for $149.00 in a presentation case. Under the photo it also read, "Bullets have never been fired and were likely dropped by Civil War soldiers on the way to battle. They have been collected, with permission, on private property near Civil War battlefields. Set includes carbine rifle bullet, smooth bore musket bullet, musket minie ball and Williams Cleaner musket ball. According to the photo, mine looks like the Union Musket Minie ball.

If anyone has any knowledge to share, I would love to hear it!

Ya'll Come Back!

Lorilee

4 comments:

  1. What a great collection! I love historical stuff and the bullet story is wonderful. Sorry I can't help you with any more info about it. If you ever make it to NY you have to visit West Point. The grounds are amazing, the museum is fantastic and the cemetery if full of famous war heroes. We went there with my sons class in 2003 and did gravestone rubbings of some of the famous generals buried there. Lot's of great historical stuff there! Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to join our Tchotchke Challenge! Each month on the 1st and 15th Pam J (at pamela-j.blogspot.com) work our way through the alphabet, posting photos of our stuff (tchotchke means small trinkets or ornaments, but we bend the definition) We're up to letter M now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like fun, but I am a bit too scatterbrained to be on time and the right letter! I'll give it some thought!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista