Friday, September 19, 2008

Love those feathery fall grasses!

I love the feathery blooms of grasses in the fall. I especially love them when backlit by the setting sun. I plant them in the western corner of my backyard for this reason. This bloom is on Miscanthus sinensis 'Little Zebra'. The foliage is interesting because it has yellow bands on the blades. It is still in its pot because I just found it on clearance for $2 at Lowe's. I bought 2 other grasses, but they are not currently blooming.
This beauty is Melinis nerviglumis 'ruby crystals'. I bought it in June during our trip to Fredericksburg, Texas from the Friendly Natives nursery.

Hopefully, I can get some good photos of my new mantel clock tomorrow afternoon to show everyone. I am enjoying its ticking and chiming every quarter hour.

Ya'll Come Back Now!

Lorilee

7 comments:

  1. I love those pink blooms! Grasses add such a variety of texture to the garden; and usually with very little maintenance.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never seem to see discounted stuff that looks that good at Lowes! You lucky girl (or maybe just a better shopper who keeps a good eye out!)I have not been to Fredericksburg in probably 15 years. I so loved that place!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Lorilee!
    The migraines started almost 3 years ago (although in hindsight, I had been having them before that and didn't know that was what they were - they just didn't get so severe until Feb. '06) I can deal with those for the most part - it is the headache that hasn't gone away for that same length of time that grinds on me. If I could get rid of that, I think could get a better grip on the migraine part. You just do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy grasses, too. I walked today in the pasture and took a number of photos of natural grasses that pleased me immensely, although it occurred to me that maybe the grasses cause my fall allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those feathery fall grasses too! A few weeks ago I cut some down by the neighborhood marsh to stick in my entry way. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grasses. I want a pink pampas grass and we have just brought a red fountain grass which is lovely.
    xx
    t

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grasses are really pretty! We'd like to plant more in our Wildscape.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista