Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration






Several years ago I attended the Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration. I am pretty sure it is cancelled this year, pending a visit from Hurricane Ike! Of course, I shopped the vendors and found more goodies than I needed! In the photo, hummers are awaiting their turn to be weighed and banded.


This hummer is being weighed. It is being held in a band used for a larger bird such as some sort of raptor.


The hummer is getting "one for the road" before being set free to continue its journey!
I loved getting to watch this process along with visiting various yards with more hummers than could be counted! It was an awesome experience! I hope to go again someday!
Our school district has cancelled school for Thursday and Friday. I gassed up my Trailblazer and went to Wal-Mart for some groceries after we packed up our rooms at school. Tomorrow, my sons and I will be dragging the generator out of the garden shed and putting it in the garage. We will have to find places for patio furniture,the gas grill, potted plants, bird feeders, bird houses, chimes, and assorted yard ornaments! When my husband returns from work, we will board up the windows. If Ike strengthens to a high Cat 3 or more, we will be heading out to San Antonio. My hubby's employer reserved a room for us there. They will re-route his load of pharmaceuticals to San Antonio and he will take it from San Antonio to Harlingen. I don't want to have to leave, but I also don't want to stay if the weather is too bad! The predictions do not look good for us!
Ya'll Come Back Now! (There is no bad weather in "Blogland")
Lorilee

3 comments:

  1. Hi, sweet Lorilee...
    I do hope that things "weather wise" wouldn`t be as bad as predicted!
    And that hopefully all your lives can be return to "normality" again!
    I will be thinking about you, your loved ones and neighbours!
    We can ALWAYS make extra room in our nest... if nowhere to go!
    Speak to you soon, and please do try to keep safe!
    Kisses
    Debbie Moss

    (FROM ENGLAND)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Lorilee,
    Im with Debbie on this one.Hope all is well and I will be thinking of you and your family.

    xxxx
    t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we're doin' the same here, and we are 250 miles inland! THEY SAY this may be worse than Carla or Camille. This is only about the 3rd time in my life (50 yrs) that we've had to "batten down the hatches" for a hurricane way up here!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista