Friday, September 5, 2008

Treasure under the stairs!



My Dad and Stepmom had to clean out the closet under the stairs to put in new flooring. They found treasure! Of course, treasure is in the eye of the beholder! My Dad's treasure was several bottles of my brother's first batch of Mustang Grape wine. The treasure for me was this "Learn How Book" with a copyright of 1941 by The Spool Cotton Company. The price on the front is 10 cents!.
The table of contents includes Crochet, Knitting, Tatting, and Embroidery. I found it among several boxes of crafting magazines that belonged to my mother. There was also a Little Lulu coloring book from 1955 that also belonged to my Mom, along with several scrapbooks with newspaper clippings on subjects that were of interest to her! She was a history buff. I have not had time to really go through the boxes yet!
Hopefully, I will get to it this weekend. Tomorrow, my sister-in-law and I are going to the Victoria County Master Gardeners Association Fall Plant Sale. It begins at 8 a.m.. Usually there is a line waiting for the doors to open. Last spring they had to make people wait outside until some people left to prevent overcrowding! So, I guess it is safe to say it is popular! I hope to remember my camera.
I have also been watching ebay for a mantel clock with Westminster chimes that would chime on the 1/4, 1/2 and hour. I remember visiting my great-grandmother and hearing her clock chime! Hearing the chimes was a highlight of the visit. That sounds bad doesn't it? I really didn't know her well and she passed away when I was in the 4th grade. Odd what stays in our memory. I won the auction on a clock that met all of my "wants". Now I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.
Ya'll Come Back Now!
Lorilee

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lorilee! I stopped by to say thanks for stopping by my blog and I've been going back through some of your posts. Love the cakes. I made a few when the kids were little but I haven't decorated on in a long time. I had to laugh at the teenager 'overflow' into your room! When this tiny room was baby boy's bedroom I often woke to find teenage boys draped over every piece of furniture in the living room! It wasn't uncommon to find half a dozen 'extras'. He was (still is) a very social creature and for some reason they always ended up here! That was when we decided we had to get him out of this room - the boys kept getting bigger and taking up more space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a definite treasure, by my standards. Something old and something that was precious to someone you love! Now, start learning to tat, and you can have a nice table runner ready for Christmas, you know, just do it in your "spare time"! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you found. That's the joy in older houses.

    Hope you had good luck at the plant sale. I love to go to those.

    You are going to love your clock. I have one that my parents gave to me for my 40th birthday. It was my great grandparents. I don't wind it up a lot anymore since it's so old. I do it sometimes when we have company. Mr. Bird Nest likes to tell them when the clock quits chiming their visit is over. He thinks he's sooo funny.

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I CAN`T WAIT TO SEE YOUR "NEW" CLOCK!
    I TOO AM AFTER THE RIGHT ONE, BUT, HAVEN`T FIND IT YET!
    KISSES
    DEBBIE MOSS

    (FROM ENGLAND)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so confused. I have all my "favs" on Google Reader so I can immediately zip over and read new posts. Trouble with Google Reader is, I haven't figured out how to "comment" from that site, so I have to click on your site and go to it in order to comment.
    I THINK I read "Girls Day Out", and came over here to comment on how cute Hannah is. Now I'm not finding the post, am I crazy? If I am hallucinating, I even saw the vision of an armadillo!
    So, IF you did have a post, Hannah (and the armadillo) were both adorable. If NOT, I must be dreaming!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista