Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pickling Beets instead of decorating for Christmas!

For some reason,as I get older, more memories from my childhood seem to surface! Of course, I can't remember what happened yesterday either! My latest memories of eating meals at my Grandma and Grandpas's house, brought a craving for pickled beets. That is the only place I ever ate them! I did some surfing on the internet! I talked to Grandma Bessie on the phone about her beets. I decided I was ready to make my own! It is not hard, just potentially messy! I was very careful not to leave drips on my counters! Of course I wore an apron (not a pretty one, but a "serious cooking" apron that is reserved for cake decorating and mustang jelly making)

I only ended up with 2 1/2 jars. I didn't want to make a big batch of something that didn't taste right! I have alreay eaten the 1/2 jar since I didn't seal it! YUMMY. I just used beets (of course) onion, pickling salt, sugar, vinegar (regular not pickling) and water. I didn't use the spices that some recipes used. My Grandma said she didn't use them!
I shared the cooked peels and ends with the girls! Wouldn't it be cool to get pink yolks in the eggs!
I promise the Christmas boxes REALLY are out of the attic. The artificial tree is even assembled! I just have't been home enough with enough energy left to do any other decorating! My sweety put up the tree! Oh, I did wrap lights around two of my tomato cages (turned upside down) I have them on each side of the entrance to the veggie garden behind the barn.
Ya'll Come Back Now!
Lorilee


9 comments:

  1. You just have to let me know if this causes pink yolks. I will so be giving beets to my egg lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, somebody has to eat beets I suppose - might as well be you and not me! LOL I want to see pictures if you have pink eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pickled beets; same reason as you gave... I ate the ones my grandma put up from the garden. I found some decent ones in cans at WalMart (not grandmas, but they'll do). They are the WalMart Great Value brand. My grandma used clove and cinnamon I think, because hers were spicier.
    She also pickled peaches in the summer, did you ever eat any pickled peaches? I always say I am going to try them, but never get to it. THere is such a small window of opportunity with the peaches, as they are in season for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thispost, and how creatively you started it! Yes, the older we get the closer we seem to get to our past... that's the beauity of treasuring memories...

    Have a lovely day

    cielo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love pickled beets...and almsot anything else pickled. Did you ever have pickled watermelon rind? It's selicious..and another "old timey" thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lorilee :)

    I've never canned anything in my life, but you make it sound really easy, maybe I'll try sometime. I hope you get those pink eggs ;)

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!! No recipe?

    I have family members that love pickled beets...would you share? You can email if you'd like, or just post it here! Puhleease?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used a recipe from www.PickYourOwn.org/pickledbeet.htm
    I adapted to using less beets and did not use the cinnamon, cloves or allspice because my Grandmother said that she did not use them.
    Pickles Beets
    7 to 8 lbs of beets
    4 cups of vinegar (5% acidity)
    1 1/2 teaspoons canning or pickling salt
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    2 cinnamon sticks
    12 whole cloves-about 1 tsp.
    12 allspice nuts(whole) 1 tsp.
    4 to 6 onions

    The website has 7 pages of detailed directions and photos.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, Thanks for dropping in. I love to hear from you!

I HEART...

What kind of flower are you?

I am a
Sunflower

What Flower
Are You?

The Apronista

The Apronista